Pages


"What wouldst thou have of life? Pay the price and take it."
- Henry David Thoreau

03 June 2011

Sometimes I Impress Myself

What do you do when your youngest son tells you (at the last possible moment, naturally) that he needs a corsage to give the girl who is meeting him at the 8th grade promotion dance tonight?  (hint...the answer is NOT "ask all sorts of embarrassing questions about the girl"....but please don't ask me how I know that.)

Actually, what you do is grab your scissor and head outside to gather whatever blossoms and greenery you can find.  (Get more than you think you need, because the younger sister of the son in question will decide that she wants to make a corsage, too.  Trust me on this.  Younger sisters are NOT easily dissuaded.)

Once you've gathered your supplies, go find your floral tape.  (You know, the roll of floral tape that was included in the random box of "gardening stuff" your friend gave you when she moved.....doesn't everyone have one of those?) 

When you have all your tools and supplies assembled, make a corsage.  It might look something like this:

crabapple blossoms, a spray of white lilacs, a sprig of an unnamed houseplant, some floral tape, some ribbon, a drop of SuperGlue (to hold the end of the ribbon in place) and a corsage pin to attach this little masterpiece to the dress of the extremely lucky girl who will receive it...


(Yes, I did feel a little bit like MacGyver when I had finished this project....thank you for asking.)

2 comments:

upsadaisy said...

That is gorgeous. I have to go tell J that C went to a dance with a girl. Any bets on how many shades of purple and red he blushes?

kathirynne said...

Trust me, C was all shades of red when I was asking him about the girl.

(p.s. I wish I'd learned how to make corsages earlier - I could have saved T and S a lot of money over the course of 2 proms each!)